Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Stranger Things Have Happened

Just before the Thanksgiving break (and here I offer my apologies for not posting much last week--between getting together with extended family and painting our kitchen, I just didn't have the time or energy left over to write anything coherent or relevant), I went to a "publishing party" at my daughter's second grade classroom (where all the parents come to read their child's big writing project) wearing a Toasters "Night Train to Moscow" t-shirt. The assistant teacher, whom I really like and respect, comes up to me and says, "The Toasters--I used to see them all the time back when I as 13 and hanging out at The Wetlands every weekend." Despite feeling kind of old and awkward at this, I tell him that I used to work with the band at their label, etc. and had just seen Bucket a few weeks earlier, etc. at a gig in Brooklyn. Not sure if he was surprised or impressed by this (neither was intended), but what a weird connection--my ska past haunts me wherever I go!

Thanks to John at HP Skazine for the holiday illustration! The choice of food here might not really be Thanksgiving-y, but the sentiment sure is right. And continued respect to Mr. Doug Trendle for having the longest tongue in ska.

+ + + +

Several Duff Guide readers have been kind enough to alert me that I'm on somebody's naughty list...(and here we are just a few weeks away from Xmas!):



The irony is that as I am a Verizon Wireless customer...have been for years.

2 comments:

Matt C said...

Buster is the Gene Simmons of Ska. If I had to pick a Bad Manners pic though to represent Thanksgiving it would surely be the "Klass" cover.

Steve from Moon said...

Thanks, Matt. I wonder whose tongue is longer, Gene's or Buster's? According to his entry on iMBD, Simmons' is 7 inches long.

The "Klass" cover scares me with those oversized sausages...yikes!